No, we’re not talking about the English trifle/shepherd’s pie combo Rachel made on the beloved show Friends. This is a salad recipe that the actress, Jennifer Aniston enjoys as her favorite, and it’s been going viral on social media for a while. It’s filling, fresh, healthy, and full of flavor!
The Legend Behind the Jennifer Aniston Salad
In a Los Angeles Times article from 2010, Courtney Cox talked about eating this salad with Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow being one of her favorite rituals from the years filming the sitcom. Courtney described it as an improved version of a cobb salad and talked about how Jennifer has a way with food. Jennifer elaborated on the recipe years later and the internet seems to love it!
The Required Ingredients
To prepare the Jennifer Aniston salad, you will need:
- 1 cup of bulgur wheat (3 cups if already cooked)
- Half a cup of diced red onion
- A cup of chopped cucumber
- Half a cup of chopped parsley
- A cup of crumbled feta cheese
- A quarter of a cup of chopped fresh mint
- A 15-ounce can of rinsed and drained garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- Half a cup of chopped cooked turkey bacon
- Half a cup of chopped pistachios
- A quarter of a cup of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- A teaspoon of salt
- Half a teaspoon of black pepper
A Bit of Cooking and Prep
Cook the bulgur following package instructions, transfer it to a bowl, and let it cool. Cook the turkey bacon, let it cool, and roughly chop. Take some time to properly chop, dice, or slice (to your preference) the remaining ingredients. Put the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, and whisk them together to make the dressing.
Putting the Salad Together
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, add the dressing, and toss well to combine. The salad can be served immediately. It can also be made ahead and stored in the fridge until dinner time. Feel free to change up the grains, add lean protein, or omit the turkey bacon completely to make this salad more suitable to your taste!