The days when cauliflower was a largely overlooked vegetable are long gone. In recent years, it has become one of the most used, loved, and diverse veggies that can easily blend into virtually any recipe. A great meat substitute for vegans and vegetarians, cauliflower is an awesome alternative in many popular recipes. No matter if you love meat or not, these teriyaki cauliflower wings are bound to become your new favorite treat. Here’s how to make them!
Cauliflower Wings Ingredients
- 1 small-medium head of cauliflower, chopped into 2-inch florets
- 2-3 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened soy or pea milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (sub rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 tsp each: onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients
- ¼ cup soy sauce or aminos
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ginger, minced or ½ tsp ground ginger powder
- ¼ cup water (additional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
Cauliflower Wings Instructions
- Start by preparing your baking sheet. Line it with parchment paper (or foil or a silicone baking mat) and coat it with vegetable oil. Preheat the oven to 425°.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, flour, seasonings, salt, and pepper, and mix everything well until there are no lumps and you have a homogeneous, runny mixture.
- Add the cauliflower pieces to the mixture and coat them evenly. Arrange the florets on the baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Then, remove from the oven, flip them, and return for an additional 10 to 15 minutes of baking.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly before tossing them in teriyaki sauce and serving them.
Teriyaki Sauce Instructions
- In a medium saucepan, combine the soy sauce, orange juice, brown sugar, ½ cup water, garlic, and ginger, and place it over medium heat. Whisk together and bring to a simmer.
- Grab a bowl and make the cornstarch slurry by mixing the cornstarch with an additional ¼ cup of water. Mix well and add to the saucepan. Whisk it into the sauce until smooth.
- Keep over medium heat until the sauce thickens.
You can garnish your teriyaki cauliflower wings with sesame seeds, scallions, and red pepper flakes for extra flavor.