If you’re looking for new recipes this fall, why not have a taste of this delicious baked feta and lentils dish? The earthiness of the lentils blends seamlessly with the caramelization of the baked cheese. Those deep flavors are contrasted by the tartness of the blackberry vinaigrette. It’s a simple meal that brings layers of flavor and is a perfect pick for this fall season!
To prepare this scrumptious dish, you’ll need:
- Just over 3 fluid ounces of high-quality vegetable stock
- 7 ounces of precooked black lentils (drained)
- A 7-ounce block of feta cheese
- 2 sprigs of thyme (leaves picked)
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 1 handful of hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons of honey
To make the vinaigrette, you’ll require:
- 2 and a half ounces of fresh (or frozen but thawed) blackberries
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Finely chopped – one half of a shallot or spring onion
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
Prepare the Lentils and Bake the Feta
Preheat the oven to 428 Fahrenheit. Put the drained black lentils in an ovenproof dish. Stir in the vegetable stock, then spread the lentils out evenly, and place the feta in the center. Sprinkle the lemon zest, thyme, and olive oil over the dish. Place it right in the middle of the oven. Spread the hazelnuts in a small baking dish and place it on the lower oven rack. Bake both for eight minutes.
Time for the Vinaigrette
Preheat a grill to its highest setting. Spread the honey over the feta and bake the dish on the grill until the cheese starts looking golden – roughly four minutes. In the meantime, make the vinaigrette by mashing the blackberries with a fork. Stir in the honey, vinegar, olive oil, shallot, or spring onion. Use salt and pepper to season the vinaigrette to your liking. On two serving plates, place a handful of baby spinach each, a serving of lentils on top, and half of the cheese per plate. Drizzle the blackberry vinaigrette over the cheese and top with a sprinkle of chopped hazelnuts.